FDBusiness.com

Bright Food Completes Weetabix Acquisition

 Breaking News
  • 2 Sisters and Standards in Poultry Processing Report Published The Environment, Foods and Rural Affairs Committee in the UK has published its report into 2 Sisters Food Group and Standards in Poultry Processing. The Committee launched an inquiry into 2 Sisters and poultry standards following the undercover footage released by The Guardian and ITN. The evidence sessions looked at the issues raised at the 2 [...]...
  • ADM Wins ‘Most Innovative Food Ingredient’ at Gulfood Excellence Awards Archer Daniels Midland Company has been awarded ‘most innovative food ingredient’ for its natural sweetening solution, Fruit Up® Fiber, at this year’s Gulfood Manufacturing Industry Excellence Awards. The awards recognize best practices and innovation within the food manufacturing industry value chain. Entries were judged on the additional value the innovations brought to developers, as well as [...]...
  • Bayn Europe Enters China Sugar Reduction Market Bayn Europe has signed a strategic framework agreement with Kong Wua Group in China, outlining the establishment of a R&D center for sugar reduction and production of sugar replacer solutions. Through the agreement, Bayn and Kong Wua will bring sugar replacer solution to the market to help tackle the sugar over-consumption social problems. “It is important [...]...
  • It’s Time to End Food Waste – White Paper Among the most interesting topics in the publication ‘It’s time to end food waste’ is a closer look at the psychology of food waste by Nina Waldhauer at the University of Wageningen. Waldhauer explains how “(…) the food sector business can create opportunities for reducing consumer-related food waste. It can be done in ways that acknowledge consumer´s goal [...]...
  • Orkla Sells K-Salat to Stryhns Orkla Foods Danmark has agreed to sell its K-Salat business to Stryhns, which is part of the Norwegian Agra group. The purpose of the sale is to concentrate Orkla’s activities on fewer categories. K-Salat has a product portfolio of salad spreads, mayonnaise, remoulade, dressings and potato salads in Denmark. Under the agreement, Stryhns will take over [...]...

Bright Food Completes Weetabix Acquisition

Bright Food Completes Weetabix Acquisition
November 06
11:44 2012

Bright Food, one of China’s largest food groups, has completed its  acquisition of 60% of Weetabix Food Company from private equity firm Lion Capital for £720 million. The remaining 40% of the shares will continue to be held by Lion Capital and management. Weetabix is the second largest branded manufacturer by value of ready-to-eat cereals and cereal bars in the UK.

The company’s portfolio of household brands features the market-leading brand Weetabix, and also includes Weetaflakes, Oatibix, Oatiflakes, Seriously Oaty, Ready Brek, Weetos and Alpen, the leading UK muesli brand. Weetabix’s branded cereal business is enhanced by its number two position in the manufacturing of own label cereals for retailers in the UK. In addition to its strong presence in the UK, the company has operations in North America, South Africa, Germany and  Spainand exports to more than 80 countries around the world. Weetabix employs about 1,800 people worldwide and in 2011 generated sales of over £460 million.

Bright Food’s landmark acquisition is an exciting move by the company, signalling its entry into both the UK and global food markets through the iconic Weetabix brand. The transaction is the largest overseas acquisition by a Chinese company in the food and beverage sector. The purchase also supports Bright Food’s strategy of buying famous international brands, developing advanced technology and taking strong competitive positions in each of its markets.

Bright Food is committed to driving the global growth and success of the Weetabix business, with a focus on the potential in Asia and especially in China, to take advantage of the growing appetite in the country for packaged and convenient healthy foods. Bright Food has extensive experience across all aspects of the food industry spanning the primary (agriculture/ farming), secondary (manufacturing of food products) and tertiary (retail and distribution) industries. In addition, it owns a number of well-known trademarks and branded products in Asia’s food processing industry. Bright Food will also offer an excellent ‘route-to-market’ through its extensive retail platform. In 2011, Bright Food generated revenue of $12.2 billion and had an EBITDA of $1.2 billion.

About Author

mike

mike

Related Articles



Food & Drink Business Conference & Exhibition 2016

Upcoming Events

  • November 28, 2017Fi Europe
  • December 4, 2017Plastics and Paper in Contact with Foodstuffs 2017
  • January 8, 2018RAI Exhibition
  • January 16, 2018Sival Plant Production Trade Show
AEC v1.0.4

find food jobs

The Magazine

F&D Business Preferred Suppliers

New Subscriber





Subscribe Here



Advertisements