FDBusiness.com

Britvic and AG Barr Agree Merger

 Breaking News
  • Agrial Continues Strategic Expansion With German Dairy Acquisition Agrial, the French farming and food co-operative, is continuing its quest to create value for its dairy farmer members by acquiring German company Rotkappchen Peter Julich Group, a specialist in cow’s and goat’s milk cheeses. The acquisition of Rotkappchen Peter Julich Group, which owns three famous brands in Germany, furthers the growth strategy of Eurial, [...]...
  • €191 Million to Promote EU Agri-food Products at Home and Abroad The European Commission has adopted the 2019 promotion policy work programme, with €191.6million to be made available for programmes selected for EU co-financing – an increase of €12.5 million compared with 2018. €89 million will be allocated to campaigns in high growth countries such as Canada, China, Colombia, Japan, Korea, Mexico, and the United States. Some [...]...
  • Müller Removes Sugar With New Yogurt Culture Müller Corner, one of Britain’s best loved yogurt ranges, is set to reduce sugar by up to 9% and gain a creamier texture, thanks to the discovery of a new yogurt culture. Following a rigorous research and development process which involved access to more than 13,000 strains, Müller discovered that the combination of two specific yogurt [...]...
  • Mintel Launches Purchase Intelligence in the UK Mintel, the world’s leading market intelligence agency, has launched Mintel Purchase Intelligence, the newest innovation in product comparison technology, providing rapid, reliable consumer opinion on every reported new food and drink product in the UK*. Every day, Mintel benchmarks consumer reactions to new product launches so manufacturers, companies and brands can immediately understand and analyse what is [...]...
  • Discovery, Plant-Based and Alternatives Lead the Top Ten Trends For 2019 Targeting increasingly adventurous consumers, set on new discoveries and experiences, will be key to developments in the food and beverage industry in 2019. The connected world has led consumers of all ages to become more knowledgeable of other cultures, contributing to 35 percent growth of “discovery” claims, when comparing 2017 and 2016 new product launch [...]...

Britvic and AG Barr Agree Merger

Britvic and AG Barr Agree Merger
November 14
12:42 2012

UK soft drinks producers Britvic and AG Barr have agreed to merge to create Barr Britvic Soft Drinks, one of the leading soft drinks companies in Europe, with annual sales of over £1.5 billion, a portfolio of strong brands and significant prospects for future growth. The combined group will possess an attractive portfolio of strong and differentiated brands (including Irn-Bru, Robinsons, Fruit Shoot, J2O and Rubicon), with its portfolio well represented in key sub-segments of the soft drinks market.

The enlarged group’s brand portfolio will benefit from enhanced routes to market and is expected to drive opportunities for further revenue growth. Internationally, the new group will enjoy significant presence in France and Ireland, and growing distribution of proprietary brands in markets such as the US. Barr Britvic Soft Drinks’ strategy will focus on creating value by driving both the availability of its brands and operational efficiency.

Britvic shareholders will own 63% of the combined business with and AG Barr shareholders the remaining 37%.

Integrating Britvic with AG Barr is expected to yield recurring annual cost synergies of approximately £35 million through overhead savings, procurement savings and supply chain enhancements. In addition to these cost synergies, the boards of AG Barr and Britvic believe that the merger will provide an opportunity to achieve a contribution of at least £5 million from annual net revenue synergies through utilising the combined distribution channels, brand portfolios and geographic presence. The boards expect to build up synergies progressively to achieve aggregate synergies of £40 million in 2016.

Barr Britvic Soft Drinks will have a proven management team to be led by the current AG Barr CEO, Roger White with John Gibney, the current CFO of Britvic, as CFO of the combined group. Gerald Corbett, the current Britvic non-executive chairman, will become the non-executive chairman of the combined group, and Ronald Hanna, the current chairman of AG Barr, will become the non-executive deputy chairman of Barr Britvic Soft Drinks.

The merger is conditional on the approval of AG Barr shareholders and Britvic shareholders and OFT clearance.

About Author

mike

mike

Related Articles



Food & Drink Business Conference & Exhibition 2016

Upcoming Events

  • November 21, 2018expoSE European Asparagus and Strawberry Fair
  • November 27, 2018Health Ingredients Europe
  • November 28, 2018FOOD & LIFE
  • December 3, 2018P&P 2018
AEC v1.0.4

find food jobs

The Magazine

F&D Business Preferred Suppliers

New Subscriber





Subscribe Here



Advertisements