FDBusiness.com

Competition Commission Clears Proposed AG Barr and Britvic Merger

 Breaking News
  • 2 Sisters Food Group Sells Christmas Puddings Business to Valeo Foods 2 Sisters Food Group is selling its Matthew Walker Christmas puddings business to Valeo Foods Group, the fast-growing international ambient foods producer, for £67 million. The Matthew Walker business, based...
  • Carlsberg Gives Latest Green Fibre Bottle Update Carlsberg Group has given an update on its journey to create the world’s first ‘paper’ beer bottle made from sustainably-sourced wood fibres that is both 100% bio-based and fully recyclable....
  • Loma Launches New RUN-WET IQ4 Metal Detector Loma Systems, a leading manufacturer of high performance metal detectors, checkweighers and x-ray inspection systems for the global food and pharmaceutical industries, has introduced new RUN-WET® specification to its range...
  • Campari Group Expands Brands Portfolio Campari Group, the Italian and international drinks business, has acquired a controlling interest in Mexican super premium brands Ancho Reyes spicy liqueur and Montelobos mezcal. In 2018 the net sales...
  • Winners of the 2019 Global Bottled Water Awards The winners of the 2019 Global Bottled Water Awards were announced at an awards ceremony held at the iconic Burj Al Arab, during the 16th Global Bottled Water Congress in...

Competition Commission Clears Proposed AG Barr and Britvic Merger

Competition Commission Clears Proposed AG Barr and Britvic Merger
July 09
14:14 2013

The UK Competition Commission has formally cleared the proposed acquisition by AG Barr of Britvic. The CC has concluded that the proposed acquisition is not expected to result in a substantial lessening of competition and would not cause wholesale prices to increase significantly.

AG Barr and Britvic are both active in the manufacture and supply of a range of carbonated and non-carbonated soft drink brands. Irn-Bru is the largest Barr brand and has a particularly strong presence in Scotland. Other Barr brands include Orangina, KA and Rubicon. Britvic’s brands include Robinsons, J2O, Fruit Shoot, Tango and Pepsi.

However, since the merger deal to create one of the leading soft drinks companies in Europe with annual sales of over £1.5 billion was originally agreed last November, circumstances have changed. Under the original terms of the proposed merger Britvic shareholders would have owned 63% of the combined business with AG Barr shareholders the remaining 37%. This reflected the relative market capitalisation of the two companies prior to the merger agreement. 

Britvic’s Chairman, Gerald Corbett, comments: “The merger lapsed in February when the deal was referred to the Competition Commission. We would obviously consider any proposal tabled in the interests of shareholders. However, Britvic is in a very different position to last summer when the merger was agreed. We have a new chief executive in Simon Litherland, who has done a fantastic job in implementing his new plan for Britvic. The board is confident of driving £30 million of cost savings over the next three years and of the enhanced international expansion opportunities. In addition, performance has improved, the merger benefits are materially less than they were and our share price is almost twice the level it was. Britvic’s prospects as a stand-alone company are bright.”

The AG Barr board has welcomed the Competition Commission’s final decision to clear the merger as a significant positive step. It will now actively reconsider a potential merger with Britvic.

The AG Barr board says it will review all material new developments since the original merger terms were agreed but currently believes that, other than Britvic’s recently announced short term cost saving plan, little has changed to alter its previous conviction that a merger represents a unique opportunity for value creation for both sets of shareholders in the short, medium and long term.

AG Barr has until 5.00 pm on Tuesday, 30 July 2013, to either announce a firm intention to make an offer for Britvic or announce that it does not intend to make an offer.


Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/fdbusiness/public_html/wp-content/themes/legatus-theme/includes/single/post-tags.php on line 5
Share

About Author

mike

mike

Related Articles

Food & Drink Business Conference & Exhibition 2016

Upcoming Events

[eventlist]

find food jobs

The Magazine

F&D Business Preferred Suppliers

New Subscriber

Subscribe Here



Advertisements