FDBusiness.com

Emmi Strengthens its Position in South America

 Breaking News
  • Greencore to Divest US Business in $1 Billion Deal Greencore Group, the Irish and UK convenience food business, has agreed to sell its entire US business to an affiliate of Hearthside Food Solutions for US$1.075 billion (£817 million) on a cash and debt-free basis. Hearthside is a major US contract food manufacturer with a heritage in US food industry outsourcing. The disposal will leave [...]...
  • The Macallan’s Pioneering New Distillery Installs Flowcrete UK Flooring The new distillery for luxury whisky brand The Macallan has installed a variety of Flowcrete UK floors to create surfaces that would reflect its visual identity and maintain the functional properties required to produce this iconic Scottish spirit. When Edrington, the international spirits group that owns The Macallan, decided to build a £140 million facility to meet increasing global [...]...
  • New Pearl Range Launched to Help Reduce Risk of Cross Contamination Single use glove specialist Unigloves has launched the brand new 15-glove Pearl Colour System nitrile gloves range, helping organisations across the food sector more effectively manage cross contamination risks. The expanded range, combines high quality food handling approved, AQL 1.5 medical grade, powder-free nitrile gloves available in a range of colour finishes – including those [...]...
  • Signed Sealed Delivered With the increased customer focus on postable items such as confectionery, drinks and gifts, UK plastic bottle manufacturers Measom Freer have developed their very own Post Bottle (Ref 6143). With a flat rectangular shape, the bottle can easily be boxed and posted through standard letterboxes, fitting the UK large letter dimensions. Made from clear PVC, which [...]...
  • Irish Distillers to Invest €150 Million in Sites in Cork and Dublin Irish Distillers has announced investment of over €150 million in its sites in Cork and Dublin to meet demand for its products as the Irish whiskey renaissance continues apace. This is accelerated by the continued growth of the company’s flagship Jameson brand, which is now in double or triple-digit growth in more than 80 markets [...]...

Emmi Strengthens its Position in South America

Emmi Strengthens its Position in South America
May 02
09:31 2017

Swiss dairy group Emmi is acquiring a 40 % stake in Brazil’s Laticínios Porto Alegre Indústria e Comércio. Based in Ponte Nova in the state of Minas Gerais, the Brazilian company is among the five largest dairies in its main market of Minas Gerais in milk collection, with strong positions in the cheese, fresh cheese, UHT milk, butter and whey powder product categories.

In 2016, Laticínios Porto Alegre generated sales of approximately BRL500 million (about SFr150 million) and employed some 1,000 people. Its head office and one production facility are located in Ponte Nova, with another plant in Mutum. With this transaction, Emmi is strengthening its presence in Brazil and moving ahead with its programme of international growth.

Emmi’s strategy is to strengthen its market position in Switzerland and grow internationally. This growth is to be achieved organically and through acquisitions. By acquiring this stake in Brazil, Emmi is strengthening its presence in a country that has been on the company’s watch list for a number of years. Emmi has a longstanding presence in this market as a leading exporter of Cheese Fondue and raw milk cheeses from Switzerland.

The 40 % stake in Laticínios Porto Alegre Indústria e Comércio strengthens Emmi’s position in South America and creates a second strong local foothold alongside Chile. The remaining 60 % holding in the company, which was founded in 1991, will be retained by brothers José Afonso and Joao Lúcio Barreto Carneiro.

Urs Riedener, chief executive of Emmi, comments: “Laticínios Porto Alegre is a healthy company that has also done an excellent job in the recent years of economic difficulty. Its strong position provides Emmi the possibility of complementing its product portfolio with innovative product and marketing concepts, thereby creating additional opportunities in a market with a great deal of potential over the long term.”

The state of Minas Gerais is roughly the size of France and with a population of approximately 20 million is Brazil’s second-largest state after São Paulo.

About Author

mike

mike

Related Articles



Food & Drink Business Conference & Exhibition 2016

Upcoming Events

  • October 18, 2018Future Food-Tech London - Marketing Partnership
  • October 21, 2018Int'l Food Products Exhibition (Sial)
  • October 25, 2018Italian Espresso Coffee Show (TriestEspresso Expo)
  • October 25, 2018Finnish Food Fair
AEC v1.0.4

find food jobs

The Magazine

F&D Business Preferred Suppliers

New Subscriber





Subscribe Here



Advertisements