FDBusiness.com

New York court rejects the ban of foam packaging

 Breaking News
  • Avian influenza – New Scientific Advice Boosts EU Preparedness Migratory wild birds crossing the north-eastern and eastern border of the European Union is the most likely pathway for avian influenza to enter the territory, says EFSA (European Food Safety Authority). Experts assessed the risk of avian influenza entering the EU and reviewed surveillance approaches – which comprise monitoring by Member States and the actions [...]...
  • Tough September Trading Hits British Restaurant, Pub and Bar Groups Britain’s managed pubs, bars and restaurants saw like-for-like sales decline 0.9% in September as the public appeared to pull back on spending on eating and drinking out, latest figures from the Coffer Peach Business Tracker reveal. Restaurants in London were worst hit, suffering a 3.2% fall in collective like-for-like sales compared to September last year. [...]...
  • High Shear Mixing Experts For processors that work with proteins, starches, gums, vitamins, and flavourings, the Rotosolver high shear mixer is a must-have. This workhorse makes light work of all types of ingredients and with thousands of installations around the world in food, beverage, dairy, condiments, and meat and poultry manufacturing facilities, Admix continues to set the global standard [...]...
  • Belvoir’s Bubbling With Joy This Christmas Belvoir Fruit Farms is getting into festive mood with a limited-edition Christmas label for their popular Elderflower Pressé. The jolly, holly covered label also features the brand’s iconic elderflower motif dressed to impress for Christmas in golden foil, bringing seasonal sparkle to the design, along with the cheerful seasonal message ‘Bubbling with Joy’. Belvoir’s Elderflower Pressé [...]...
  • Firmenich Launches Advanced Natural Flavour Solutions For High Protein Beverages Firmenich, the world’s largest privately-owned company in the flavour and fragrance industry, has officially launched its Protein Shield Flavors, a new line of natural flavour solutions aimed to help developers address the challenges they face when creating beverage products with high protein content. “These natural solutions confirm Firmenich’s deep commitment to advancing health and wellness,” says Chris [...]...

New York court rejects the ban of foam packaging

New York court rejects the ban of foam packaging
December 18
12:14 2015

The New York Supreme Court overturned the city’s decision to ban on foam packaging products.

The city’s recycling industry and restaurant owners applauded the decision, and are hoping to achieve an ambitious 100% recycle rate of its foam products through the industry-funded recycling proposal.

The city authorities initially rejected a proposal designed to recycle the city’s used foam products, choosing instead to ban 20% of foam, while sending the remaining 80% into landfills, before the court overturned the ban, deeming it “arbitrary and capricious” and cleared the way for further opportunities to embrace a recycling proposal.

Michael Westerfield, corporate director of recycling programs at Dart Container Corporation – which was involved in the appeal, said: “The evidence proves it – expanded polystyrene foam is 100% recyclable and can be recycled safely at no cost to tax payers. By allowing foam recycling to move forward, the city will save hundreds of jobs and bring in millions of dollars in savings, while doing what’s best for the environment.”

Martin Kersh, executive director of the FPA, told Packaging News that reversals of bans in other parts of America are also being overturned, and hoped the tide is turning on the issue.

“The banning of any legal material is wrong and should never be accepted. Those that seek such bans are short sighted if they believe banning one type of material will reduce litter and should read the evidence with regard to recycling and food safety.”

About Author

admin

admin

Related Articles



Food & Drink Business Conference & Exhibition 2016

Upcoming Events

  • October 19, 2017PMA Fresh Summit 2017
  • October 21, 2017Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo 2017
  • October 22, 2017Serbotel
  • October 22, 2017Natexpo
AEC v1.0.4

Jobs: Food Packaging

find food jobs

The Magazine

F&D Business Preferred Suppliers

New Subscriber





Subscribe Here



Advertisements