FDBusiness.com

US Post Holdings to Acquire Weetabix in US$1.76 Billion Deal

 Breaking News
  • Younger British Consumers Turn Over a New Leaf on Tea New research from Mintel reveals that as many as 37% of British consumers aged 25-34 have drunk 5-6 different types of tea at home or in the workplace over the past month*, compared to just 3% of those aged 55+. Furthermore, Brits aged 25-34 are the most likely to drink every variety of tea tracked by [...]...
  • Irish Consumer Confidence Hits New High Consumer confidence in Ireland has hit its highest level since the recession and is now the fourth most confident country in Europe, according to the latest Nielsen Global Survey of Consumer Confidence and Spending Intentions. The Republic of Ireland’s Consumer Confidence Index score – which measures attitudes each quarter on topics including personal finances and job prospects [...]...
  • Fifth Acquisition For Frutarom in 2017 Frutarom Industries, one of the world’s 10 largest companies in the field of flavours and natural specialty fine ingredients, continues its momentum of acquisitions and the implementation of its rapid and profitable growth strategy by agreeing to purchase of 100% of the shares of the UK company Flavours and Essences (UK) Ltd (F&E) for approximately [...]...
  • Market-leading Food Contact Conference, Plastics & Paper in Contact with Food – 4-7 December, Berlin Over 200 experts from across the food contact industry will come together in Berlin, Germany from 4–7 December 2017 to attend Smithers Pira’s Plastics & Paper in Contact with Foodstuffs (P&P) –http://www.food-contact.com/plastics-paper. With the European Commission having recently published EU regulation 752/2017 amending EU Regulation 10/2011 on plastic materials and articles intended for food contact, all [...]...
  • Croxsons’ Stunning Black Bottle For 6 O’Clock Gin’s Limited Edition Debut Leading glass packaging company Croxsons has supplied Bristol based distiller, 6 O’Clock Gin, with a stunning black bottle for their first limited edition gin product – the Brunel Edition. Since Bramley & Gage’s partnership with Croxsons for the re-launch of their 6 O’Clock gin, the Brunel Edition is the first limited edition gin for 6 O’Clock [...]...
  • Carlsberg Group Remains on Course Carlsberg Group has announced organic and reported net revenue growth of 2% to DKr31.77 billion (€4.27 billion) for the first half of 2017 although group beer volumes fell organically by 3%, chiefly due to a decline in Russia. Operating profit was up 15% organically, with all three regions – Western Europe, Eastern Europe and Asia [...]...

US Post Holdings to Acquire Weetabix in US$1.76 Billion Deal

April 18
11:10 2017

The UK’s iconic cereal brand Weetabix is reportedly being swallowed up by US Post Holdings in a £1.4 billion (US$1.7 million) deal. Chinese owners, The Bright Group, took a 60% share in Weetabix in May 2012 with Baring Private Equity Asia acquiring the remaining 40% from Lion Capital in 2015.

Speculation has been mounting since the beginning of the year after reports in January claimed a potential four bidders – including Post Holdings, Associated British Food, Cereal Partners Worldwide and Italian pasta maker Barilla – were looking into buying Weetabix. Now, the cereal is to be sold with Reuters reporting that a spokesman for the Chinese conglomerate has confirmed the sale today (April 18).

If the sale goes through, this would be the end of Chinese ownership. When The Bright Group first took over, the idea was to push the oval-shaped high-fibre breakfast cereal in potentially lucrative Asian markets, something which has not really been successful in recent years as consumers are not traditionally used to eating cold breakfast cereals with milk.

Headquartered in Missouri, US, Post Holdings Inc., is a consumer packaged goods holding company active in the foodservice, ingredients, private label, refrigerated and nutrition categories and also makes other cereals popular in the US including Cocoa Pebbles and Golden Crisp.

Earlier this year, Weetabix announced a £30 million (US$37 million) capital investment program across its British manufacturing sites to create new production capacity by 2018 to keep pace with increasing sales domestically and overseas. The investment came on the back of Weetabix’s UK market share for cereals and drinks rising from 15.3% to 16.4% in the past year.

Currently the UK cereal is manufactured in Northamptonshire and exported to more than 80 countries worldwide, while Weetabix for the US and Canadian markets is manufactured in Ontario.

About Author

editor

editor

Related Articles



Food & Drink Business Conference & Exhibition 2016

Upcoming Events

  • September 11, 2017drinktec
  • September 13, 2017FI Asia
  • September 19, 2017PROCESS EXPO 2017
  • September 22, 2017Global Summit on Food & Beverages
AEC v1.0.4

The Magazine

F&D Business Preferred Suppliers

Advertisements